The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In the Australian government, a SmartForm is an electronic form with capabilities beyond a traditional paper form, such as electronic completion, dynamic sections, database calls and electronic submission. The Australian government established a specialist unit called the SmartForms Developer Center to encourage and assist Government Agencies to transform their current paper forms to SmartForms. The aim of this is to improve both their own internal processing as well the service they are providing to their constituents.
In 2008, the use of SmartForms was named a best practice initiative by the Australian Government Information Management Office in the Review of the Australian Government's Use of ICT.
- Lower cost of processing submitted forms
- Fewer data entry errors
- Lower postage and mail handling costs
- Enables the use of digital signatures for non-repudiation
- SmartForms can be saved offline
- Files can be attached to the form
- Submitted forms can be easily integrated with back office systems using XML data
Use in government
The Federal Australian Department of Industry, Innovation and Science coordinates SmartForms initiatives across Australian government agencies. Departments currently using SmartForms include NSW Local Government Agencies, Victorian State Government, NT State Government and the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.
The Australian Department of Finance and Deregulation is promoting a Whole of Government SmartForms solution under a $42M Australian Government Online Service Point program. This SmartForm solution is based on Avoka Transact.
There are a number technologies that can deliver SmartForm benefits with varying levels of capability. These include:
Avoka Transact replace paper and PDF submissions with a highly tailored digital process for both agencies and citizens, and includes data capture, signatures, and identity validation. Avoka Transact allows department staff to create mobile responsive applications which adapt to the size of a phone, tablet or PC without creating separate versions for each, and Australian Citizens can complete government transactions from mobile and desktop at home.
FormHero is a paperwork automation platform used to turn internal paper-based processes into online smart forms that automatically find and fill in existing paperwork.
This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (July 2018)
- XFA Forms
- InfoPath Forms
- FormPublisher Forms
- FormPublisher refers to Jway XML form technology. FormPublisher Forms is a Smart Form that dynamically adapts to user responses and the process context.
- SmartForm Development Center
- Australian Government: Features and benefits of SmartForms
- Review of the Australian Government’s Use of Information and Communication Technology Archived 5 June 2009 at the Library of Congress Web Archives
- SmartForm Development Center
- SmartForm Center System Overview[permanent dead link]
- Science, c=AU;o=Australian Government;ou=Department of Industry, Innovation and (24 June 2016). "Get started with SmartForms". business.gov.au. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Red Tape Blue Prints
- Red Tape Blueprints Case Study
- Easybiz Archived 16 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- NT Gov SmartForms Archived 19 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations Archived 2 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- AGOSP Program Archived 30 December 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- Protalinski, Emil (31 January 2013). "Microsoft discontinues electronic forms software InfoPath, will support latest version until April 2023". The Next Web. Retrieved 1 February 2014.